Interested in free college? Absolutely free Associate's Degrees, offered exclusively by AFSCME. Click here for info.
I am 2018
AFSCME and COGIC have launched an 18-month initiative to honor Dr. King, who was assassinated the day speaking in solidarity with Memphis sanitation workers who were on strike, to honor the events of 1968 and connect the legacy of the strikers and Dr. King to current issues facing our nation. The initiative will include organizing, community actions and strategic partnerships. As we move toward November 2018, we will build a movement of dedicated activists who can continue the unfinished work of realizing Dr. King’s dream. To learn more, click here.
Did you know...?
Do you know what labor unions have made possible? A list of benefits made possible by the work and dedication of labor unions...
1. Weekends without work
2. All work breaks, including lunch breaks
3. Paid vacation
4. Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
5. Sick leave
6. Social Security
7. Minimum wage
8. Civil Rights Act/Title VII - prohibits employer discrimination
9. 8-hour work day
10. Overtime pay
11. Child labor laws
12. Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
13. 40-hour work week
14. Workers’ compensation
15. Unemployment insurance
17. Workplace safety standards and regulations
18. Employer health care insurance
19. Collective bargaining rights for employees
20. Wrongful termination laws
21. Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
22. Whistleblower protection laws
23. Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA) - prohibits employers from using a lie detector test on an employee
24. Veteran's Employment & Training Services (VETS)
25. Compensation increases/evaluations
26. Sexual harassment laws
27. Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA)
28. Holiday pay
29. Employer dental, life, vision insurance
30. Privacy rights
31. Pregnancy and parental leave
32. Military leave
33. The right to strike
34. Children's public education
35. Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011
36. Laws ending sweatshops in the U.S.